Who the Hell...?

My photo
My name is Alan Washburn, and I am a graphic artist, web designer, and pencil/paper artist looking to get more into digital works. This blog is for sketches and finished work, as well as a place for me to rant and rave as need be.

Friday, April 6, 2012

"I'm Sorry, We Don't Accept Sketches"

Only within about the last year have I made an active effort to get my work seen across more of DeviantArt, making an attempt to take it from a simple hobby to something that might become at least a part-time career. I have a long way to go in terms of skill, I think, before I can be truly competitive in the art world, and I realize that. Especially in the realm of color work, I need a lot of improvement.

One way I have been attempting to get my work seen has been to join various groups in DA. I've found that it makes it much easier to get your work seen because the group already has an established audience and group of fans. When you post to it, your work gets sent to everyone on that group whether they are following your individual profile or not. This gets you exposure, and exposure is important when you're trying to find work (moreso in the industry than many others, I'm finding).

However, something that I occasionally encounter when joining or submitting artwork to groups has popped up again this morning, and it always frustrates me.

"I'm sorry, but our group only accepts finished pieces, not sketches or line art." Sometimes it's preceded by "Your artwork isn't bad, but..."

My work is not sketches. My pieces are black and white pencil drawings, yes, but they are fully shaded, detailed, and cleaned up. They are finished pieces, and frankly, with as much time as I put into some of them, calling them "sketches" is insulting.

If the only issue is that it isn't colored and you want colored artwork in your group, that I can completely understand. I don't expect you to change the rules of your group to accommodate me or my black and white pencil art, but please... don't tell me I'm not allowed into your exclusive club because my work is drawn in pencil and therefor "only a sketch".

-J

1 comment: